auburn.jpg

Auburn University affected by recent Alabama Senate bill restricting DEI initiatives

AUBURN, Ala. (EETV) – Auburn University is one of the many public institutions in Alabama affected by the recent ban on diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives.

Earlier this year, Governor Kay Ivey signed SB-129 into law. Officially taking effect Oct. 1, 2024, the bill will prohibit public entities from funding and maintaining offices dedicated to diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) initiatives and projects.

It also restricts the promotion of what the bill terms "divisive concepts" within educational settings. This includes programs and trainings that emphasize race, gender or sexual orientation as factors for attendance.

As of Aug. 15, 2024, Auburn has acted in accordance with the bill and dissolved its DEI office. The Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion was located in the heart of the Melton Student Center and served as a safe space for students of any background.

Auburn University student Taylor Kreimier found her sense of belonging through the DEI office and finds that the removal is counterintuitive.

"I feel now that since the DEI office is removed, it's forcibly become 'inclusive to everyone and is no longer a proper safe space for minorities. It makes minorities and other marginalized groups vulnerable because their spaces are no longer protected by law."

The Auburn University Student Government Association (SGA) strives to represent the student voice, and with this responsibility comes the duty of creating a safe space for all demographics of people. To ensure their promise is kept, SGA will hold a RoundTable Event to discuss pressing issues like the DEI initiatives and hear any concerns that students may have.

This event will be held on Sept. 30 in the Academic Classroom Laboratory Complex from 3-5 p.m.